Scenting Videos

Cabana and I are signed up for a beginning scenting class this weekend, along with career changed pal Dagan. The instructor sent the students an email, saying that we should bring crates for our dogs to hang out in when it's not their turn and to bring some "stinky" treats. She also told us to watch this short clip on YouTube of a dog doing his first search exercise.


(Video description: a young doberman searches a line of empty boxes in a hallway, looking for a treat.)

After watching the video, I decided to practice with Cabana. She hasn't been in her crate for probably a year, so I figured it would be good for her to get comfortable with being in there again. I set up some empty boxes and put a treat in the one closest to me, thinking I'd make it "tough" on her by putting it far away from her. It didn't really work that way....


(Video description: Cabana is in a red collapsible crate in our backyard, she comes out when I call her and comes toward me; she gets treat out of the box closest to me and furthest from her crate.)

It was too easy, so on subsequent attempts, I tried to make it more difficult, moving the boxes in different configurations and even rubbing the treat in the other boxes to throw Cabana off the scent.

Here's a video of Cabana on her last exercise. I think she was getting tired (it was our 9th round), so she isn't searching with much zeal. Then, at the end, because I was having her get in her collapsible crate after each search, I told her to "kennel" (enter her crate). What she did INSTEAD is hilarious.


(Video description: Cabana comes out of her red crate and goes to our side yard where I have the boxes set up, she meanders about for a while, then finally finds the treat in the farthest box; she comes back toward me and around the corner toward her crate; I keep pointing at the crate while telling her to kennel; she ends up jumping on top of the crate and making it collapse.)

I don't know if Cabana got turned around and couldn't find the entrance to her kennel, or if she'd just had ENOUGH! In any case, she literally "packed it in" for the day.

Min  – (April 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM)  

I loved the second video, Mimi. Thanks for the laughs!

Tessa99999  – (April 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM)  

You said "on" right? Cabana is too cute! This class looks like it'll be really fun! =) I look forward to hearing more about it and maybe getting to take a similar class myself one day!

Erin  – (April 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM)  

Very cool! I've wanted to get into Nosework classes but there isn't much around here!

Becky Andrews  – (April 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM)  

I love all the varied experiences Cabana gets in her life!

Golden Samantha  – (April 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM)  

That is hysterical - they both are! GREAT exercise and I wish we were going to this class. Just starting Sammie on Utility (arrrrgghhh!), but she's very enthused (probably cause she's getting lots of treats at this stage. We just began the Scent Discrimination exercise with a couple of articles. If I have enough patience, I know she can get it. I think Cabana did a great job and we look forward to hearing about the class!
xoxoxo
Miche and the Girls

L^2  – (April 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM)  

Hahahaha.... thanks for the laugh. I needed that. :-) I bet Cabana will enjoy this class.

Martha G  – (April 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM)  

Great photos! Welcome to the sniff world. Pretty soon you'll be buying shoes simply for the shoe boxes! : )

Amber-Mae  – (April 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM)  

Oh Cabana, you're such a clown! That looks like a fun game though.

Colby, Raven, Elsa  – (April 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM)  

Our career change pup, Stetson loves doing K9 Nosework. He's just starting to get the hang of finding Birch unpaired. His buddy, Dutch (another career change) just passed his Birch ORT. I'm sure Cabana will love nosework.

By the way, I love her response to the "Kennel" command :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP