A Final Decision

cabana happily laying on green bed inside a huge wire crateHere's Cabana, hanging out in Seamus' crate this morning. I wonder if she's laying in there because it's comfortable or because she hopes he's coming back.

Longtime blog readers may remember how hard and long I agonized over the decision to adopt Cabana after she was career changed (flunked out as a guide dog). Sitting on the fence without leaning in either direction is a terribly difficult and uncomfortable position to be in. A year and a half ago, I felt the full weight of making a 10+ year commitment to adding a canine member of the family to our household, and I didn't want to make the wrong decision. Now, everyday, I feel so blessed to have kept Cabana, and I can't imagine life without her. In the words of the witches in the musical Wicked, "I have been changed for good."

After sitting on the fence for the past week regarding Seamus, we have decided that we will definitely not adopt him. As you all have noticed, I adore that dog, and according to my husband, Seamus has "glommed" onto me. But I didn't get into fostering in order to adopt a second dog. After all, I'm not a crazy multiple dog person like many of you all are (wink wink, blink blink blink). If we adopt him, my life, house and heart will be too full of dogginess to continue to volunteer at the shelter. My goal is to help as many dogs as possible, not just one, and I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can do that.

There's also our 16-year old cat to consider, as well as the one-year old baby that I babysit fairly often. In two short years, both my daughters will likely be off at college, and we will have more room and wherewithall to consider another dog.

In the meantime, I'm going to do everything I can to help Seamus find an AWESOME home. I made a poster for him yesterday, with photos and a detailed description of his attributes. Today, I'll bring him back home with me for another mini-foster. And tomorrow, I'll show him at the Cuddle Shuttle, a mobile adoption unit, that will be parked in front of our local Petco. I'm going to exercise Seamus in the morning, brush him until he shines, and tell everyone who comes to the Cuddle Shuttle about how wonderful he is.

Kari in Alaska  – (May 13, 2011 at 11:21 AM)  

sounds to me like it was a well thought out decision, I'll stop pushing now ;)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Martha G  – (May 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM)  

I think you've made a wise choice. I constantly remind myself that I can help more dogs by fostering than by adopting. Seamus will find a good home and maybe it will be by someone who will frequent the same dog park you and Cabana frequent and you'll be able to stay in touch - and maybe even puppy sit from time to time. You've gotten to know Seamus well, and I think people gravitate to dogs in shelters where the volunteers can say more about the dog's interaction with other dogs and behavior in the home setting.

Jen  – (May 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM)  

Ah, good for you for making a difficult decision!! I understand completely what you are going through as a foster mama myself!! Sometimes a dog will wander through your home that you completely fall in love with but know you can't keep. And, that's ok!! You help them find the perfect place for them, help them to be a better dog in the process, and you prepare yourself for the next one to wander into your life! So, know that you made a tough decision but for you, it's the right decision!!

Hang in there and here's hoping whereever Seamus lands, you'll be able to follow up with him and maybe even have the occasional playdate! :)

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

Oskar  – (May 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM)  

It sounds like you've got all of your priorities in order!

My name is Oskar & I have a blog that I'd love for you to check out, www.PetBlogsUnited.com. It's a great place for pet bloggers to find each other and get some exposure!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Meghan  – (May 14, 2011 at 7:05 AM)  

Awesome! Seamus is very lucky to have found you. I just had to put my little 11-year-old rat terrier from the Humane Society down. These guys deserve as many people as possible on their side and I'm so glad you will be able to help as many dogs as possible find their forever. My poor boy was abused before I brought him home at five months, and it was a rough eleven years that I wouldn't give up for anything. Please hug Seamus for me and wish him success for me.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP