News from the Cuddle Shuttle

large fancy truck with graphics of cats and dogs with their names and dates of adoption, one side of truck is made up of 16 glass windowsToday, I took Seamus to the Cuddle Shuttle, the shelter's eye-catching mobile adoption unit. The shelter's capacity is stretched to the max right now, so adoption fees were reduced to $25. The glass windows house cats, and the dogs hung out on the sidewalk, ready for passersby to hopefully fall in love.

close up of german shepherd amos laying on pavement, wearing an adopt me cape, his beautiful reddish brown eyes are looking at the camera and he has one ear up and one ear down as usualAnd what's not to love about this handsome face?!!! Seamus got a lot of interest, but the morning brought no serious applicants.

seamus laying in cabana's hunter green bolster bed, which is shaped sort of like a couchI took Seamus home for an hour to give him a break, then brought him back for the final hour of the adoption event. To keep him comfortable, I took Cabana's car couch out for him to relax in. The very first time we brought him home in the car, he was a panting, nervous mess--but after he realized car rides lead to good things (nice home, green grass, dogs to play with), he got a lot better. And I think Cabana's comfy car couch helped a lot, too, both physically and mentally.

seamus sitting and surrounded by a dad and mom and two blonde girls in matching sweatshirts, yellow happy face graphics cover all of their facesDuring that last hour, a woman stopped on her way into the grocery store and showed great interest in Seamus. She took a picture of him with her phone and sent it to her husband. He called back immediately and said he would come over, bringing their 7-year old twin daughters to meet Seamus, too. They all fell in love with him and adopted him on the spot.

The woman is a stay-at-home mom, and the dad works from home two days a week and will run with Seamus every morning. The kids were very gentle and used to dogs, since their golden retriever died just several months ago. Best of all for me, they live in town, will let me puppysit when they go on vacation, and meet for park playdates with Cabana. They also plan to come back to the shelter for a few basic obedience sessions, so I'll definitely get to see him again.

Here's a photo of them all, disguised to protect their privacy--but I think you can still tell what a cute family they are!

man sitting on a couch but head is not included in photo, seamus laying in cabana's green bed in front of the couchI lent them Cabana's car couch so Seamus could lay in it for the ride to his new home. They have already emailed me with an update, saying he is doing really well, settling in nicely, and that they plan to buy a dog bed just like Cabana's. They sent me this photo of him. It gives me so much comfort to see him laying in Cabana's car couch--it's the perfect transitional love object for him. And the perfect new family.

Seamus' new name is Buster, named after some baseball guy, Buster Posey. Better Buster than Posey, I say.

It's a happy ending...and a happier beginning.

Martha G  – (May 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM)  

Perfect beginnings for Buster/Seamus! I'm so glad you'll be able to keep in touch.

Min  – (May 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM)  

Mimi, This post gave me mixed feelings. Selfishly, I wanted you to adopt him yourself because I loved seeing his handsome face on your blog. But I am also so incredibly happy for Buster to be adopted into such a nice family. I know your work and dedication helped make this adoption possible. Good job!

Becky Andrews  – (May 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM)  

Oh that is such a happy ending/beginning! So happy for Seamus and I've learned so much about this process from you. Thanks for sharing.

Jen  – (May 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM)  

AHHH! Yeah Seamus, or should I say Buster?!? What a happy ending, and be proud of the good you did for that boy!!!!

Well done!!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

Mandy and Supreme  – (May 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM)  

:) :) :) :) :) :) this made me tear up! lots of :) except for his new name, as I like the dodgers, and that guy posey's a Giant thorn in the dodgers' sides!

Shelly :)  – (May 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM)  

I think I just cried reading this (yeah I did). :) What an amazing story! I'm so glad Seamus found a perfect forever home and you will still get to see him! :)

Kari in Alaska  – (May 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM)  

CONGRATS BUSTER!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Sierra Rose  – (May 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM)  

Soooooooo overjoyed about Seamus...Buster! What a joyful day :) And, so exciting that you can be in touch with him and the family!
Does the Cuddle Shuttle just operate in your county? Haven's seen it before.

Sweet hugs,
Sierra Rose

OSU 98  – (May 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM)  

Well done, Mimi. Buster is doing great in his new home because of the love and patience that you and your family showed him. It looks like he is going to have a great life.

Please tell me that living in northern Ca you know who Buster Posey is....and if I do say so myself, being named after him is a pretty good thing!!!!

Infrequent Flyers  – (May 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM)  

Sorry, Nicole, I know it's really pathetic, but I had never heard of Buster Posey until the adopters mentioned him. Yes, I do live with my head in a cave.

Tessa99999  – (May 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM)  

Congrats Seamus...er...I mean Buster!! I'm sooo happy for him!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP