Book Review: Bones Would Rain from the Sky

Before I start my book review, I wanted to share that Tabi, the dog we fostered last weekend, got adopted today!! The shelter training director texted me this afternoon and gave me the good news, saying Tabi got a wonderful family. I don't know why, but I felt EXTRA happy about it. Maybe I had some guilt inside because I actually didn't feel much for Tabi. I liked her and thought she was a very nice dog, but I didn't feel a connection. I suppose it's good because I don't necessarily want feel like keeping every single dog that crosses our threshold. Yes, that's a very good thing, indeed. Still, I felt that Tabi deserved a good life, and I guess I felt guilty for not wanting to provide that for her personally. Hence, my relief and joy about her adoption today.


Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier has to be my all-time favorite dog book. It was beautifully written, and the information in it was so different from other dog books. Sometimes, you read a dog book and think, "I've read all this before in other dog books." I didn't feel that way at all this time.

The book is about having a relationship with your dog, not just training your dog by following some prescribed method or another. It's about taking the time to figure out what your dog needs and learning to communicate with each other. There are many examples in the book about dogs that had issues and who were brought to the author for help. Her approach was always positive, sincere, and thoughtful. She encourages readers to listen to our gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right to treat your dog in a certain way, don't do it. Many times, we get so much conflicting information from the "experts" and wonder who is right, who to listen to. Usually, we know inside what the right thing is, if we'd take the time to figure it out.

One of the most important points I got from this book is that being a dog lover should make you a better person. Sometimes, we can become "crazy dog people" who only care about dogs, while forgetting to be patient with the goofy kid at the grocery store or cursing behind the back of a mean boss or retreating from a difficult family member. If we can show kindness and patience to our dogs, we can extend the same kindness and patience to the people around us. We can learn from our dogs how to be more joyful, more forgiving, more loving.

Martha G  – (June 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM)  

It's my favorite dog book of all time, too. It was so personal to me, so perfect at the time I read it. She's supposed to be writing a followup book, I sure hope it's soon!

Martha G  – (June 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM)  

Don't feel bad that that you don't feel a deep connection with every dog you bring home. You did a nice write up on Tabi, captured her personality, and she found a family who loves her. That is the very best outcome!

Becky Andrews  – (June 24, 2011 at 5:28 AM)  

Good news about Tabi. Love the title of the book and what a great message. Thank you and I'm putting on the list of books to listen to.

Beth and Alfie  – (June 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM)  

I've wanted to read that one for some time now -- thanks for the review! I agree with the sentiment that our relationships with dogs should make us better people -- not eccentric/unbalanced people. I think Jon Katz wrote along similar lines in "The New Work of Dogs."

Yay for Tabi! Apparently she connected perfectly with someone else, and that's what matters. :)

Erin  – (June 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM)  

Yay for Tabi! I think the not feeling a connection thing is what makes puppy raising a little eaiser, especially as you realize there are some dogs that just don't fit with your family, so hitting that year mark is actually a relief. You do your absolute best but there isn't much sadness. Unfortunately Rob is one of those dogs...he's been gone for a week and I'm not really looking forward to getting him back, poor boy. lol.

Lauren  – (June 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM)  

So excited to read this book! You know that I absolutely looooove dog books :) I'm requesting it from the library right now! Thanks girl!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP