Dogs in the Big Apple

black and white photo of a young Rudy Giuliani sitting on a staircase, getting kissed on the cheek by a yellow labDid you know that former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani used to have a yellow lab? (This photo is taken from the book New York Dogs, by Andrea Mohin.)

All last week, my human family members and I were on vacation in New York City. Cabana stayed at Bucky's house, where I hear she had a great time, playing tug with Bucky and demolishing all his stuffed toys.

We thoroughly enjoyed NYC, living on the top floor of a charming four-story brownstone, taking the subway all over Manhattan, visiting museums, shops and attractions. The only downside to our trip was, of course, that Cabana couldn't be there with us. So I consoled myself by reading lots of books about dogs and by nerdily (is that a word?) taking photos of passing dogs.

Although we didn't cross paths with Rudy Giuliani or his dog, during the first few days of our trip, I photographed every dog I saw. But then, I thought, wow, this is really stupid, so I stopped doing it. I was a bit embarrassed while taking them and felt sheepish since I hadn't asked anyone for permission, so I took the photos really fast, hoping no one would notice.

Now, looking through these dog photos, I am surprised at how much they convey and wish that I had kept taking them. I thought the photos would look too random and boring, but instead, they show the grittiness of the city, the traffic, the people, the movement, the hurrying. I had planned to use the photos to make a little collage to share on my blog, but the photos are so interesting (to me, anyway), that I want them to be viewed singly and at full-size, rather than as a tiny 1" square in a collage. So I made the slide show below.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

Even though these are random dogs that we don't know anything about, they each have their own unique character and story. I recently read that city dogs have to be much better trained than country or suburban dogs. After all, city people can't just throw their dogs in a big backyard or let them run loose while they're at work all day. When neighbors literally live on top of you or on the other side of your wall, barking is just not acceptable. And you can bet with all of New York City's fines, that someone is going to get on your case if you don't bag up your pooch's poop!

Amber-Mae  – (June 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM)  

Very coll slideshow. There sure is a LOT of beautiful dogs in America.

Becky Andrews  – (June 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM)  

Glad you had such a great time in NYC! We loved our time there, too and hope we can go back. It was an amazing experience with Cricket and a place where our confidence as a team grew as she did amazing in the busy city.

Anonymous –   – (June 11, 2011 at 6:10 AM)  

What a great slide show - you captured a very unique part of the city and it cool to see the normal NY dog instead of what we see on tv. I loved it!

Hobbes Dogs  – (June 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM)  

Love the slideshow. I have been guilty of taking photos of dogs on vacation too.

Martha G  – (June 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM)  

I love the slide show and how you captured so much of the dogs' personalities. I was looking for a similar program a week or so ago. So, how was yarn shopping?

Tessa99999  – (June 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM)  

I'm so glad you guys had fun, and I loved your slide show!! My favorites were the working dogs, and GSD trying to keep up. It really reminded me of Addie after we've been walking a while. I also LOVED the Pit Bull Nanny! I think it's a great and accurate view of pits! =) Glad you're home safe and sound.

MK  – (June 18, 2011 at 2:41 PM)  

How funny, I happened to be in NYC one day that same week you were. Granted, I'm only a train ride away, but still. I have no shame and talked to several people about their dogs. My favorite was a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who we met right outside of Battery Park (downtown). I loved watching all the different breeds and it was neat seeing them all in the slideshow too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP