Reading Buddy Bookmarks

Cabana really enjoys being a reading buddy. Every Friday, we go to the local Boys & Girls Club, and she "listens" while 7-10 kids read to her. Now she knows what's coming when I put on her therapy jacket and she prances the 2 blocks to the club. When we arrive, the kids, who have just eaten lunch, are so excited to see her, and Cabana loves the commotion. She doesn't jump or get crazy, mostly I think because her nose is in heaven as she sniffs the kids with all their cacophony of scents--sweat, sunscreen, detergent, and FOOD.

Before we sit down on the green naugahyde couch for stories, the kids always want to see Cabana do a few tricks. Their favorite is to cover their ears with their hands (in preparation of what's to come) and say, "Cabana, SPEAK!" When Cabana lets out her deep and booming single bark, they are startled every time by how loud and unlike her it is. It's hilarious, and I have to say, it still surprises me every time, too! I think it even surprises Cabana herself because sometimes, she tries to do a quiet, muffled little "erf", but that never satisfies the kids. They ask her to speak until they get a true resounding "ROWFF".

fanned out bookmarks in a teal green, with a cartoon like image of cabana at the top, text about cabana in the middle, then a photo of each child sitting next to cabana on a green naugahyde couchLast week, I took a photo of each student sitting next to Cabana. I inserted the photos into a bookmark that I designed, printed them, and had them laminated. Tomorrow, I'll hand them out to the kids.

three cabana bookmarks, one with a photo of her face looking up at camera, one of her standing in a field, and one of her in front of a lakeThis is manageable for the Boys & Girls Club because it's the same kids every time. But I would like to have some bookmarks professionally printed with a generic photo so I can hand them out whenever I can't give personalized bookmarks.

I can't decide which photo of Cabana I want to use. Which do you like best?

The text on the bookmarks reads, "Cabana is a 2-year-old yellow labrador retriever. She is called a 'career change dog' because she was supposed to work as a Guide Dog for the Blind. But because she was too 'dog distracted', her new career is being a reading buddy and a spoiled pet. Cabana can do lots of tricks like sit, stay, touch, take a bow, shake hands, and everyone's favorite, speak! Her favorite activities are going to the beach, playing with doggy pals, jumping in mud puddles, and most of all, eating."

Elizabeth Bergesen  – (July 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM)  

They are all great! And what a neat idea!!!!

Min  – (July 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM)  

I can't decide either! Cabana is cute in all of them. I suppose I would rank the Lake one at the top though.

Becky Andrews  – (July 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM)  

Okay I'm not much help on voting for which picture. This is adorable - what a wonderful idea. The kids are going to love their bookmark - love that she 'speaks' and prances to read with the kids.

Tessa99999  – (July 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM)  

Cabana, you're such a cutie! My favorite is Looking Up! It's just so quirky and cute, how I imagine Cabana to be.

P.S. I have "speak" envy. It's one trick I can't seem to get Addie to learn. It's so hard for us to mark the bark behavior. She rarely ever does it!

Hobbes Dogs  – (July 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM)  

Very cute! My vote is for the "looking up" one.

L^2  – (July 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM)  

What a great gift for the kids! I like them all, but I think the one where she's looking up at the camera is my favorite.

OSU 98  – (July 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM)  

Lake for sure. What a great idea Mimi!!

JacksDad  – (July 15, 2011 at 12:29 AM)  

That is a wonderful idea! I'm partial to the second one.

Shelly :)  – (July 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM)  

What an awesome idea! :) I personally like the field one as it shows her whole body and the front of her face. My second favorite is probably the looking up one.

MK  – (July 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM)  

Awesome bookmarks! I like the 'looking up' one because it's a closeup and there's not any extra/filler space in the picture. Also, you can't see the leash. My second favorite picture is the field one since she looks like a princess of the field! Haha

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP