Renegade in San Fran

Today, my whole family, including Cabana, drove into San Francisco to attend the Renegade Craft Fair. It's a craft fair that's geared for the teen/20's crowd, very hip and trendy, rather than the usual old-fashioned "grandma" craft items, although vintage is "in", so who's to say what's old-fashioned and what's new-fashioned these days!

cabana sitting and looking at camera with mouth open in a smile, buildings of fort mason in the background, with water and many yachts spread out behind herHere's Cabana smiling and posing for me at the yacht harbor at Fort Mason where the craft fair was held.

cabana sitting and looking up at a treat held high above, she is in the middle of a craft booth surrounded by tables covered with tablecloths and handmade waresWe were strolling through the aisles when this dog collar booth caught my eye. Of course, I had to check it out, and I had to take a photo of Cabana in the booth! But she was very distracted by something under the table and wasn't compliant about posing. The vendor at the dog collar booth was nice enough to bring out a dog treat and helped me get Cabana facing the camera. After finally getting my shot, I looked at the vendor's face and realized that I knew her! Her name is Jessica, and we used to work together over 10 years ago, when we both worked at a scrapbooking store in San Rafael, probably less than a mile away from the Guide Dogs campus.

In fact, I have often thought about Jessica because she was the first puppy raiser and true "dog person" I ever met. All her scrapbook pages were filled with pictures of dogs, which I thought was slightly unusual at the time. Little did I know how like her I'd be some day! She raised for Canine Companions, and I still remember her career changed dog, Ocean, a beautiful lab/golden cross. She used to bring Ocean to the scrapbooking store sometimes, and I was amazed that this dog was a "flunkee"! She could do all kinds of tricks and could even read words--of course, she wasn't really reading but had been trained to point to the correct word. Ocean is now 13-years old, which shows how long it has been since I've seen Jessica.

close up of a sweet little beagle face with tan and white markings and big brown eyesNow, Jessica has a little beagle, in addition to Ocean. She didn't have Ocean with her, but she did pull the beagle out from under the table (so that's what was distracting Cabana earlier). I think she is the cutest beagle I've ever seen.

adorable dog collars in various sizes hung on a white rackJessica also makes some of the cutest collars and leashes I've ever seen! They are handmade from natural and eco-friendly materials. Check them out at Aroo Studio.

cabana sitting on grass of chrissy field with fog and golden gate bridge in backgroundOne final shot of Cabana with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Walking along Chrissy Field and across the Golden Gate Bridge with Cabana are on my dog bucket list. I can't believe we haven't done those things yet!

Martha G  – (July 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM)  

Ooh! Love the picture with the boats. I think we need a career-change calendar. Sounds like a fun day in San Francisco! That's neat that you reconnected with an old friend. Was she surprised that you had raised a puppy?

Min  – (July 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM)  

I loved Renegade in Austin! I'm definitely going to drag my husband with me next year if he is home. I think I just might do a scrapbook of Bella soon since I have so many pictures of her.

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 10, 2011 at 7:41 PM)  

I think we need a career-change calendar, too!

I don't know if Jessica was surprised about me raising a puppy. I think we were both just surprised by the whole encounter in general!

Min, my husband willingly came with me. I was surprised I didn't have to drag him! But hey, a good husband knows a good craft show when he sees one.

Kari in Alaska  – (July 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM)  

I never even DROVE the bridge while living in Silicon Valley!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Becky Andrews  – (July 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM)  

Sounds like so much fun! Maybe, just maybe we can walk Cricket and Cabana across the bridge when we see each other in September!? Just a thought if it works. I've biked it and run but not walked it with Cricket.

Sierra Rose  – (July 11, 2011 at 7:53 AM)  

How fun! Great to run in to a long time friend. Beautiful collars!
Chrissy Field is one of our favorites. Nice SF adventure!

Sweet hugs,
Sierra Rose

Cassie & The Dogs  – (July 14, 2011 at 7:00 PM)  

Hey! We know that beagle! Splash is in our scenting class! She us the cutest worker! LOVE watching her! I knew it was all ringing a bell when I read this originally, but it all clicked at class tonight! Small world :-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP