Emotional Roller Coaster Ride

The last few days have been emotionally exhausting. I had three potential adopters for Kira, but it seems they have all fallen through.

The first one was a woman I met at the dog park. I had never seen her there before, but she was playing frisbee with a German shepherd mix, so I made a beeline over to her. I spoke to her for a while, and she showed a lot of interest in Kira, who got along great with her 4-year old male shepherd mix. The woman lives with her husband and works from home as a graphic designer. What could be better for Kira?! A human that is around most of the day, has experience with the breed, and has a friendly, mature dog! She said she'd talk to her husband about adopting Kira, saying they had wanted a second dog for some time now.

A couple days later, the woman emailed me and asked if Kira could come over for a couple hours, to meet her husband and to see how she responded in their home. I said of course. When I went to pick Kira up, the woman said Kira behaved wonderfully. I had worried that Kira would be fearful in a new place and revert to her tentative ways and nervous barking. But no, Kira had made herself comfortable there and did well with their dog. However, her husband was worried about Kira's hips and said he didn't want a pure bred dog. Bummer!

kira wearing red adopt me jacket, laying in grass, with several people bending over to pet herI had already arranged to take Kira to a local adoption fair that day. So, I left the woman's house and dashed over to the adoption fair. Kira was exhausted, after a busy morning at the woman's house, so she mostly laid in the grass, napping. Everyone was very impressed with this mellow puppy. She is very mellow, although not quite THIS mellow.

At the fair, a single man and a young family with two kids were very interested in Kira. The young family was divided, though, with the mom and daughter wanting Kira and the dad and son wanting a different dog there. While they were trying to make up their minds, the single man said he was ready to adopt Kira. He was an active guy, seemed very nice and responsible, and said that he'd take Kira to work with him everyday. Although he doesn't have a dog at home, he'd grown up with dogs and said there are other dogs at his office, so I felt that might be nice for Kira--access to dog pals, but also the benefits of being an only dog at home.

I had my reservations about Kira going to a family with kids. She seems absolutely fine with children, but I just know how busy life is when there are young kids involved (ages 5 and 7). So I opted for the single guy, telling the family that I hoped I was making their split decision a bit easier. The little girl, who had wanted Kira, broke into tears. I felt awful! Wow, it's hard playing God with people's and dogs' lives.

I arranged to meet the single guy at the shelter to fill out the paperwork and pay the fee. I hurried home to pack up Kira's crate, bed, food, dish, toys, everything. I waited for what seemed like eternity for the guy to show up at the shelter, kicking myself for not having asked for his cell phone number. Finally, he arrived, filled out the paperwork--only to find that he rents his home and didn't have landlord approval to get a dog.

WHY anyone would even look at a dog when they don't know if they can have one is beyond me. And I hadn't even thought to ask him that question--I will never make that mistake again!

I came back home, completely deflated, and unpacked my car, bringing all of Kira's things back into our house. This morning, I got an email from the single guy, saying that the landlord had given an official "no", which was no surprise to me and was actually a bit of a relief after all that rigmarole. Meanwhile, the family with the two kids had already agreed on another dog, which, in truth, may have been for the best anyway.

kira and cabana playing tug vigorously with a green octopus type toy, cabana is a blur because she is in motionSo, here we are, back to the drawing board. I just have to believe that things work out for the best, and the best person is still yet to be found. In the meantime, Kira can continue to learn from Cabana. They are finally playing some spirited games of tug.

kira standing in blue baby pool while cabana looks on with an open mouthed smileAnd Kira is enjoying the baby pool.

kira and cabana standing on cement patio with their heads down, eating frozen kibblesiclesAnd eating Kibblesicles. It's all fine, it's all good. So why do I feel so discouraged?

Anonymous –   – (August 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM)  

it's always discouraging when you experience false starts. but just remember - kira has only been with you a short while, and already so much interest!! the right family will come along so fast. no need to rush.

Raiser Erin  – (August 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM)  

Everything happens for a reason. So, there is someone else out there so much better for Kira and this was also a big learning opportunity for you with the man in the rented house. So really good things all around. I would feel really discouraged as well if there were 3 prospective owners all back out. But hand in there! There's someone perfect out there for Kira!

Kari in Alaska  – (August 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM)  

I am SURE she will find the family she is meant to have :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Tessa99999  – (August 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM)  

Chin up! It's not surprising that you would be a bit bummed and down from this, but you can't let it keep you down. Kira is proving to be an amazing dog and a much better family will come along. She has done so well in such a short amount of time. A little more time with you and Cabana and there is no telling how much better she will become. Hang in there! You will find an amazing home for her!

Min  – (August 29, 2011 at 8:41 PM)  

Enjoy all that Kira goodness while you can! She'll be swept away by a loving family in no time.

JacksDad  – (August 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM)  

Well that's three people who wanted her, so that's a good sign!

Dexter  – (August 30, 2011 at 4:14 AM)  

Well, the good news is that Kira doesn't know about all the almosts and what ifs. But you must be totally wiped out.

Mango Momma

Beth and Alfie  – (August 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM)  

I know why...because you're so emotionally invested in getting her a good home! I would be feeling exactly the same way. So hard to get your hopes up and then have them dashed. Sounds like in all 3 cases, it's a good thing the adoption didn't go through, for whatever reason. Hang in there, we're rooting for you -- and Kira! She deserves a good stable home where everyone wants her.

Susan Campisi  – (September 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM)  

I've worked my way backwards through your posts, so I know there's a happy ending. But I can see how difficult the emotional roller coaster must have been. I will keep this post in mind as I start the journey of finding Louise a home. For some reason, I'm taking my sweet time about that.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP