Freedom!!

Yesterday, I did some reading online about parvo quarantine, and I came across a site that said the quarantine period is usually two weeks. The shelter told me the quarantine was 3-4 weeks. Kira had been treated over 2 weeks ago, so I was hoping that 3-4 weeks was excessive. I asked the shelter to test a sample of her poop to see if it was clear of parvo--and what do you know, the test came back negative. No more parvo!! Dog walks and dog parks, here we come!

I've been raring to socialize Kira because I think Cabana is the only dog she's ever had positive interactions with. I took Kira to my favorite fields, knowing it would be fairly quiet in the afternoon. I didn't take Cabana so I could focus on Kira, since I didn't really know how she was going to respond. The first dog we saw was a little chihuahua on leash. Kira barked tentatively at him, backing up somewhat fearfully. This seems to be Kira's usual reaction--she barks whenever she's scared.

The man with the chihuahua left soon afterward, leaving us with a big empty field. I thought, hmmm, how am I going to socialize Kira with no other dogs or people around? Then, lo and behold, up drove the Nine Dog Lady! Talk about a one-stop dog socialization opportunity!

The Nine Dog Lady is self-explanatory--she's a lady with 9 dogs. Yes, 9 dogs. Ranging from an Irish wolfhound down to a 3-pound chihuahua. As you can imagine, the Nine Dog Lady is slightly eccentric. (She's holding Kira's drag line just for the photo--Kira kept trying to stay close to me, which I'm not complaining about, but it made it difficult to get a photo of her with the other dogs.) I had seen her at the park a couple times, and then, the next time I went to our veterinarian's office, there she was again. She volunteers at the vet's office, probably in order to get a discount on the services needed to keep 9 dogs healthy!

Have you ever seen such bling-y dog collars? Even the 3-pound chihuahua has these jewel-encrusted collars that probably weigh as much as the dog itself.

Kira did GREAT with all 9 dogs. No more barking! I have high hopes for this sweet puppy. She's on her way to being a confident, well-balanced dog.

After dinner tonight, I took Cabana and Kira to the fields together. The few times Kira has ridden in the car, she has whined almost constantly. I've tried singing to her, turning on the radio, having her sit in different places, all with no luck. But I should have known--she's perfectly happy in the car when Cabana is with her. I think she needs to go to a family with another dog--don't you?

Kari in Alaska  – (August 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM)  

love that they shared the bed :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Tessa99999  – (August 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM)  

So awesome!! Cabana the dog whisperer! I sometimes thing dogs make better trainers and helpers than we do, and Cabana is proving it right there. Awesome work. Glad to see Kira is coming out of her shell in a good way! AND NO PARVO YAY!!!

JacksDad  – (August 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM)  

I think Cabana would like the dog bed back! :)

Dexter  – (August 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM)  

Yeah, sounds like she will do best with another calm, confident dog.

Mango Momma

Martha G  – (August 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM)  

Cabana is amazing. I need to hire her to socialize Ardella in the language of dog!

I'm so happy to see Kira making such good progress and even happier to hear that the Parvo is gone and that she can leave your house. She is a beautiful dog and I would have a hard time letting her go!

Susan Campisi  – (August 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM)  

Such great progress in such a short time. Yay!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP