Let the Romping Begin

kira leaning way forward on all fours as she leans over a 2 foot flower bed, trying to smell through the wooden fence on the other sideWe've all started to really enjoy Kira, our foster German shepherd puppy. She is so sweet and incredibly smart. And I don't think I heard a bark from her all day--what a huge difference from 5 days ago! In this photo, there's a cat on the other side of the fence--I know because I heard it hissing. Whenever Kira has stepped in my flower bed, I give her a verbal correction, "ah-uh!" I didn't have to give the correction here--even in the excitement of smelling a cat, Kira was being so careful not to step on my flowers! Is she a great dog or what!

Kira has been trying to get Cabana to play with her for the past several days, but Cabana hasn't been willing. Aleksandra, from Love and Six Foot Leash, is a veteran foster mama and takes the most GORGEOUS photos of her fosters. She commented yesterday that I should make sure to give Cabana "top dog" status, along with plenty of alone time. Tonight, Cabana and I had a mini date in my sewing room, where she got to chew on a special bone treat. When she came out of the room, she was ready to rumba! Talk about instant results!

Here are a few short videos of Cabana and Kira playing. In this one, Cabana entices Kira with an orange monster toy, one of her favorites which has seen better days. I know dogs are somewhat color blind, but the interesting thing is that Kira digs down into the toy box and pulls out her own orange toy, one that is most similar to what Cabana has. I wonder if it's coincidence or deliberate?!



In this video, a few times, Kira pretends to be interested in another toy momentarily, only to make a sneak attack on Cabana. This time, I know it was deliberate.



Now Kira is fully engaged. Cabana doesn't seem to know what to make of Kira's unleashed energy. I just hope Kira sleeps well tonight!



Brittany  – (August 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM)  

Wow! She is really gorgeous! Does she have a petfinder page that I could email to my husband?

Infrequent Flyers  – (August 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM)  

Hi Brittany, they haven't posted her since she's not technically available yet, due to being on quarantine. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about her. I can tell you guys are shepherd fans. ;)

Becky Andrews  – (August 18, 2011 at 5:16 AM)  

That is so cool the impact that having a mini date with Cabana had on her being open to Kira.

Kari in Alaska  – (August 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM)  

I love seeing how she is opening up!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Tessa99999  – (August 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM)  

Soooo cute!!! Welcome to the life of (temporary) ownership of a GSD. That's what every night is like in our household with Addie. I guess she's just so excited to finally see everyone after we've been at work all day she can't contain herself. Just wait until Kira finds THE most annoying squeaky thing ever and squeaks it for hours on end. It's...something.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP