Sunny at the Beach

Recently, I got a huge order from a chain of wineries who will be carrying some of my cork items. It's sort of a good and bad thing because I make all the items myself, so I've been cranking away at the sewing machine, which is where I'll be for at least 3 more weeks, making over 300 items as fast as my fingers will let me.

I try not to let it affect Cabana's life too much. She still gets her morning walks and trips to the park--but after that, she needs to entertain herself. She's good about it, usually hanging out in my sewing room with me.

But I decided to give us both a little break this morning, and we took a trip to the off-leash dog beach. We don't get to the beach often enough, even though it's only 30 minutes away. I know, how ridiculous of me! But today, the weatherman predicted a rare sunny morning there (the coast is usually encased in fog until it burns off midday), and I was so glad to take advantage of it because it turned out to be gorgeous.

cabana with her head down low as she sniffs the sandy beach, you can see the ocean behind her with a bright blue sky overheadCabana's first response to the beach is always sniffing around the sand like crazy. I would think she'd head straight for the water, but no, this dog needs to make sure there's nothing good to eat hiding under the kelp mounds. Unfortunately, she usually finds something to consume, whether it's food or some other substance. Today, it was a corn-less corn cob--she started chomping away, but when I told her to "drop it", she did. I smushed it into the sand with my foot, but about 20 minutes later, she made her way back to that spot, dug it up, and ate it. Was she thinking about that corn cob the whole time?!

cabana running full tilt toward camera, ears flying back, and she is off the ground in mid air, there are paw prints in the sand behind herFinally, Cabana leaves the sniffing behind and heads for the water. She switches gears with a vengeance, dashing in and out of the waves like a true water dog.


Here's a video of Cabana's frenzied cavorting. Imagine having this kind of energy! If only I could sew like Cabana cavorts....

cabana up to her belly in the oceanBut Cabana is only a "faux" water dog. She doesn't go any deeper than this because Cabana does NOT like to swim--she ONLY likes to wade.

boy of about 7 years standing in the water wearing swim trunks and no shirt, he is looking at cabana and she is standing a few feet in front of him, looking back at himWe stopped and played with a few dogs as we walked along, but when we came to this boy, Cabana was enchanted. I was worried she'd knock him over or jump on him, but she didn't. She just wanted to hang around him and be his buddy.

cabana running toward a black lab, you can see the boy playing in the water in the distance, he has his arms out in a funny positionThat is, until she saw this black Lab! They were drawn to each other like magnets. And of course, it's because career changed guide dogs always seem to recognize each other!

cabana and jordy standing in the water, facing each other in a tired and friendly wayI couldn't tell just by looking, but Cabana obviously could! This black Lab turned out to be Jordan, who was released from guide dog training for growling (not aggressive at all, but he just growls sometimes).

Jordan's owner is a current trainer at Guide Dogs for the Blind, and they live just a few blocks from us. We have met a few times on walks, but Cabana and Jordan have never gotten to truly play together. The dogs definitely were happy to finally get the chance!

Now it's back to the sewing machine for me, and I think Cabana will be happy to veg on the floor for the rest of the day.

P.S. I took these photos with my 50mm/f1.8 lens that I've had for a year but hadn't used in a while. Lovenandaleash reminded me of it with her comment on my last post--thank you, Aleksandra! I think it makes a huge difference in the quality of my photos.

Kari in Alaska  – (September 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM)  

Congrats on the huge order!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Lisa and pups  – (September 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM)  

Oh wow - that looks like so much fun! Isn't it funny how the labs know each other! What a fun story!

Min  – (September 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM)  

If Bella enjoyed the beach as much as Cabana does we would have made the trip more often! Instead, she sits on the blanket with us and watches the other dogs have all the fun.

Cassie & The Dogs  – (September 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM)  

Well bummer!! We went to the same beach this afternoon! Someday, we will have to plan a trip out there with the dogs!

Oddly enough, Dagan has also played with Jordan at that beach. In fact, it was his first weekend as a CC and off leash at the beach - back in the day when he screamed every time an unknown dog came running at him. Like Cabana, he recognized Jordan as one of his own and was super excited to play with him :)

Becky Andrews  – (September 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM)  

Wow. That is a big order. Glad you got a little time away. See you soon!

Infrequent Flyers  – (September 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM)  

Cassie, yes, we need a Dagan playdate! It doesn't surprise me that you saw Jordan there, too, since he gets to go there EVERY weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. I might need to get a yearly parking pass, like Jordan's owner has, so I won't be thwarted by the $7 parking fee each time.

JacksDad  – (September 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM)  

I'm not the least bit jealous! No siree Bob! :)

Dexter  – (September 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM)  

So did that little black devil lure her into the water?

Slobbers,
Mango

Susan Campisi  – (September 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM)  

Tommy is not a water dog, but he is definitely a dog who would return to a cob of corn hours after I told him to drop it. Actually he wouldn't have dropped it in the first place.

Good luck getting your order done. That's awesome!

http://www.facebook.com/adoptlouise

Leanne*  – (December 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM)  

I just found your blog, I am also a crazy dog lover. I have a black lab mix and a golden/chow mix. My golden is just like Cabana and only likes to wade in the water, but my black lab loves to swim!

I blog a little too, but mostly about crafts. Here is a pup related post: http://aloveleemix.blogspot.com/2011/12/homemade-frosty-paws.html


PS: You have great dog photo skills! very jealous!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP