Little Duma

cabana running after a similar looking yellow lab in a big green fieldOn our way to the park this morning, we crossed paths with Cabana's old yellow Lab pal, Duma. We've known Duma since she was a little pup, but we don't see her often anymore. Her owner is pregnant now, so she usually keeps Duma on-leash. After all, chasing down your dog is difficult enough even when you aren't seven months pregnant!

both labs still running, but duma is looking back to see her owner standing in the distanceThankfully, her owner doesn't have to do much chasing because Duma is very good about checking in, even while running full tilt with Cabana. I wish Cabana would learn a thing or two from Duma--Cabana isn't much of a checker-in-er. I'm not sure if it's confidence, independence, or maybe her way of blowing me off. Even with tasty treats in my pocket, if Cabana wants to meander, she'll meander. At least now I know about how far I can let Cabana get before any hope of a reliable recall is lost.

closer shot of the two labs running, duma is still checking back to see her ownerDuma, now fully grown, is slightly smaller than Cabana. Quite unusual, especially for a non-GDB Lab. When Duma was a puppy, her owner used to always say to me, "Cabana is just the perfect size. I hope Duma doesn't get any bigger than Cabana." She got her wish!

duma out in front, running, as cabana chases herIn fact, it's hard to tell Cabana and Duma apart. But judging from these photos, the easiest way to tell who's who is that speedy Duma is ALWAYS out in front!

Min  – (September 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM)  

It's funny how dogs know their own "kind". The only dog I've seen Bella show a real interest in playing with was another Lab.

Kari in Alaska  – (September 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM)  

those dogs look like they are having tons o fun. Baily and Big Carl are checker in ers. Mesa not so much

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Martha G  – (September 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM)  

Is that Duma doing the Labby scoot? I love your dog park posts. I wish I had a dog that had dog park smarts like Cabana sometimes. I can't believe our puppies are almost 3!

Susan Campisi  – (September 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM)  

Those dogs are living in paradise. I love these pictures of sheer joy.

Tommy checks in until he's chasing a critter. Then he could care less.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP