Poor Pathetic Pink Paws

Poor Cabana is still suffering from itchy paws. I turned around from my computer today to find her in exactly this pose, as if to say, "Mom, look at my poor pathetic pink paws!"

Two months ago, I thought Cabana's itching was due to salmon kibble. Then, a week ago, I thought it was dog treats with mussels in them. I still think those foods exacerbated the itching, but I guess there are also other factors, too. I feel so badly for her! She chews her paws voraciously throughout the day, leaving big wet drool splotches on her beds and carpet.

A friend at the dog park told me to try a holistic medicine called Allerplex, made by Standard Process. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I just ordered some to try. It's meant for humans, but some of the reviewers have used it on their dogs with good results. Has anyone else tried this medication?

Beth and Alfie  – (April 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM)  

Oh poor baby! Sorry, I don't have any allergy-fixing wisdom. But we're sending best wishes Cabana's way!

JacksDad  – (April 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM)  

Ouch. That does look painful!! I hope the medicine works!

Brittany  – (April 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM)  

Ouch!! Hopefully the medicine helps her. Maybe she has some environmental allergies too? Patriot has both, but his paws are usually because of food.

Kari in Alaska  – (April 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM)  

Have you used a new detergent or carpet cleaning product? When we washed my childhood dogs bed in a new detergent he had major itches

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Lisa and pups  – (April 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM)  

OH, poor Cabana. Hope she feels better soon. No advice to give sorry. If you try that product, I'd be interested to hear how it works. Ellie always has the same problem as Cabana in August.

Emily and the Labradors  – (April 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM)  

Oh my that looks sore! Something that the vet suggested to help with Ellis' allergies (food and environmental... but the food is mostly a non issue now that he is on the right food I think!) was to really up his omega-3 supplements... I was skeptical, but I think it helps more than the antihistamines I have been trying (I was given a list of all the ones I can try and the dosages...). I ran out of the supplement a few weeks ago and before I was able to get more the licking got much worse again. Back on it, licking is minimal. I have also found that Welactin (from Nutramax Labs) seems to work better than just the fish oil capsules. But then I just looked at the bottles and fish oil has only 300 mg of omega-3s per 1000 mg capsule and one spoonful of the welactin has 1500 mg... so perhaps that is related! Anyway, good luck and I hope Cabana feels better soon! I'd be interested to hear what the active ingredients are in the Allerplex... didn't see it listed.

Infrequent Flyers  – (April 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM)  

Brittany and Kari, yes, I guess there must be some external source for the allergy, but I don't know what it could be. I don't think we've used any new cleaning products. And if it were some fertilizer/pesticide on the grass at the park, it would seem like other dogs would have the problem, too.

The only other thing I can think of is that I was away this past weekend, and Cabana stayed home with my younger daughter and my husband. Maybe this outbreak was stress-related, since she's not used to being away from me?

Lisa, I will definitely post after we've tried Allerplex for a while. I'm hoping it will be the answer!

Infrequent Flyers  – (April 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM)  

Emily,

Thanks for the info on the Omega-3 and Welactin. I'm nervous about trying that for Cabana since it seems like she's allergic to fish.

The main ingredients in Allerplex are some pretty funky sounding stuff! Tillandsia powder and fenugreek seed. Here's a link:

http://www.dunphywellnesscenter.com/index.cfm/linkservid/4CDE4BEC-5056-A337-98E077A2F5ADC790/showMeta/0/

Emily and the Labradors  – (April 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM)  

Oh, good point about the fish! I wasn't thinking (and fish is what Ellis doesn't seem to be allergic to!) For what it's worth though, it is usually (but of course not always!) the animal protein (not the fats) that the dogs are allergic to so if the allerplex doesn't provide any relief you might ask your vet about omega supplements. I think there are also flax based supplements, but their efficacy is less well established. Good luck! This is such a frustrating problem to deal with.

Dexter  – (April 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM)  

OUCH! What can be causing that? I hope you are able to find the source. Poor little dear.

Mango Momma

Dexter  – (April 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM)  

P.S. I put a link to this on the DWB FB just to see if anybody else has some tips. Hope that's OK. Guess I should have asked first, but seeing her little feet just made me desperate to help.

Mango Momma

Sherri / 2Rescues  – (April 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM)  

Poor girl! I hope the Allerplex works for her.

Denise  – (April 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM)  

I've been useing Flaxseed oil it contains both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Oceana can't have fish either and this has worked for both itchiness and dry fur.

Reddunappy  – (April 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM)  

Poor baby. I had a friend, her dog was allergic to grass, whenever she would walk on it this would happen to her!
I hope you find whats irritating her soon!

Martha G  – (April 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM)  

I was wondering about grass, too, since the allergy showed up when you went on vacation. Ardella is sneezing and itching this spring, and that's new for her. I am too, so I think it's tree/grass pollen for both of us. Whatever is causing her allergies, she sure looks uncomfortable. Poor baby! I hope it clears up soon. Can dogs get cortisone shots?

Oskar  – (April 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM)  

I don't know of any idea's to help her, but I hope it stops soon.

My name is Oskar & I'd like to invite you to be featured on my blog at www.PetBlogsUnited.com. It's a great way to meet new blogging friends. If you're interested you can drop me a line at PBU at comcast dot net.

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP