Back at the Shelter

After a year of herculean effort, the friends that I used to volunteer with at the animal shelter were successful in their bid to turn the shelter into a non-profit organization. As of yesterday, they are now officially in charge! They have huge dreams for making the shelter a beautiful, streamlined organization, and I know they can do it. There's a lot of work to do, and I hope to be able to help in my small ways. My time is super limited these days, made evident by my lack of posting--but I love going there to work with the dogs. I have no say in the matter--the dogs just suck me in.

I walked into the volunteer room at the shelter this morning and was surprised by this...dog. I hesitate to call him a dog because he can fit in the palms of your hands. Is he a hairless chihuahua? I don't know--but I'm naming him Google because just look at those googly eyes. He's like a craft project gone awry!

I walked this terrier mix and fell in love with her. She looks like a granny with a mohawk, but she's the sweetest thing ever.

This beautiful German shepherd girl won't be at the shelter for long. She is gorgeous, loves getting wet in the baby pool (what?), and is calm for being in a shelter environment.

There were a number of pitbulls at the shelter, as is always the case. Cookie has been there much too long already, which is surprising because she's such a lovebug.

I may not have any self-control when it comes to volunteering at the shelter, but I've been very disciplined about not taking any of them home on a permanent basis. But in all honesty, that's because I have a husband with a strong voice of reason. And I am still much too much of a neatnick (sp?) to have more animals. Shallow though I may be, I'm just not ready to give up on having a clean(ish) house!

Anonymous –   – (August 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM)  

I miss volunteering, and am hoping to find a shelter close-by soon. While I definitely have my own voice of reason (Alex), I'm very ready to add a second dog. Two is the limit until we have some land, but I would love to foster a third down the line.

Min  – (August 3, 2012 at 6:13 AM)  

Yay! A new post! Google has such a funny face. Hubby's mom has a chihuahua like that. And I know what you mean by wanting to maintain a clean house. It's hard enough with a lab, but when we dog sit the house is a disaster zone.

Raiser Erin  – (August 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM)  

Oh, I would love to have tha german shepherd! I don't know how you do it, I would be taking them all home with me! Haha!

Dexter  – (August 5, 2012 at 4:08 AM)  

We could never foster because we would wind up with about 87 dogs. I understand wanting a neat house. Ours isn't neat but at least me don't have chewed furniture and can leave stuff hanging about without mayhem. Very spoiled.

Mango Momma

Martha G  – (August 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM)  

I was so happy to see that you're volunteering here again and I'm happy the shelter's status changed. How is it going?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP