Crackerjack Has a Toy Surprise

yellow lab in the snow with big deer antler in his mouth
Bob, the antler seller on eBay, sent me these photos of this handsome guy, his yellow Lab, Crackerjack.

same yellow lab in the woods, pine needles on the ground, another big antler in his mouthCrackerjack is the one who finds most of the shed antlers. Especially when there's snow on the ground, which makes it more challenging to see them--but he can still sniff them out. Talk about a working dog!

I don't know why, but it's so entertaining to think of Crackerjack out in the wilds of Montana, gleefully finding the antlers that Cabana is chewing on right now. Thank you, Crackerjack!!

Kari in Alaska  – (February 15, 2010 at 8:07 AM)  

thats awesome! what a well trained dog. Makes the owner some money... hmmmmm

Emily and the Labradors  – (February 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM)  

CrackerJack has an awesome job! I was intrigued by the idea of the antlers before, but this may have just sold me. How long does one antler last before it is too small and has to be tossed? Might have to contact Bob for a custom lot soon...

Infrequent Flyers  – (February 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM)  

Good question, Emily. In our recent studies, conducted by Cabana in our testing laboratory living room, we've learned that not all antlers wear the same.

The ones I bought at the store (by Ziwi Peak and Antlerz) did not last very long.

It might be too soon for an accurate estimate, especially since each antler probably varies in texture. But I think it's safe to say that one of Bob's antlers might last 3-4 weeks or more, depending on how diligently the dog chews.

Infrequent Flyers  – (February 15, 2010 at 10:04 AM)  

Kari, yes, you need to come up with a high-paying job for Big Carl! Maybe a TV commercial or billboard?

Martha G  – (February 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM)  

These are nice antlers and now I know why - they are chosen and found by an expert! How cool!

I have had antlers like the ones we got from Bob and Crackerjack last up to a year. I have had others similar to these last less than an hour. I wonder if the elk antlers are longer lasting. I know that the larger antlers last longer than the smaller ones.

Mimi - I was given a card by one of the Animal Enrichment employees and she told me she would be continuing to sell antlers. I now have my source back!

Brittany  – (February 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM)  

I just ordered some of these to see how we like them. Then we may get a custom order of exactly what we want!

JacksDad  – (February 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM)  

All Jack finds are big pieces of dirt and plastic cups. So if you ever need any of those to chew on, I can send you as many as you want! :)

JacksDad  – (February 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM)  

Thank you. I'm going to give one a try. Jack seems to be able to bite through most things rather quickly!

Beth and Alfie  – (February 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM)  

That's quite a dog -- finding the antlers AND bringing them back -- not just running off to chew them! ;-)

D.K. Wall  – (February 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM)  

The Herd wanted to sign up for Crackerjack's job, until they realized they were supposed to give the antlers over and not keep them.

Becky Andrews  – (February 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM)  

That is such a sweet visual of Cracker Jack out there 'working' to find antlers for Cabana.

OSU 98  – (February 16, 2010 at 3:44 AM)  

I love it "the testing labratory of our living room".

Where did you get these again? I am amamzed at what a voracious chewer the BC is...usually, when he starts chomping on a bone, Chelsie goes after one too. Inspired me to go through all the bones. But some deer antlers may be in their future.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP