Much Better

Well, I think it turns out that I was more affected by the bad episode with the vizsla than Cabana was. I followed Heather & Ellie's good advice yesterday and tried toweling Cabana off indoors, but Cabana didn't react at all. As Emily suggested, when Cabana was sleeping, I felt her all over and could find nothing wrong. She dozed through all my prodding and poking.

Last night, I took Cabana to our puppy group meeting, so Cassie could take a look at Cabana--and so I could see some of our new pups (I haven't been to a meeting in a couple months). Cassie felt all around Cabana's back and legs, and there was a brief second where Cabana seemed to react slightly--but we weren't sure, because there were dogs and people around us, and Cabana could have been reacting to something else.

The meeting, it turned out, was also a chance for Cabana to get some safe playtime, to reinforce positive associations, in case of any lingering fear. Cabana got to romp around for a few minutes with Dagan AND...do you recognize the other puppy?

cabana, dagan and montego are standing together, both dagan and montego have their tongues on cabana's faceIt's Montego! Here, Cabana is getting sweet kisses from Montego and Dagan.

cabana standing in between dagan and montego, dagan has a mouthful of cabana's jowl in his teethCabana loves having her jowls grabbed by puppies. She looks a little unsure in this photo, but believe me, she was enjoying herself. In fact, when Dagan and Montego were chewing on each other, Cabana barked a few times to say, "Hey, over here--I'm open!" (I swear, Cabana has barked more in the past 24 hours than in the rest of her entire life!)

cabana and montego wrestling with each other on the groundRemember when we puppysat Montego and he was a tiny fluff ball? Now he's a HUGE fluff ball! Didn't he turn out to be so gorgeous? He's still as sweet and MELLOW as ever, and he still reminds me of a lion cub. I could tell that he and Cabana definitely recognized each other, and it was so fun to get to see them play.

I think Cabana is pretty much back to normal, but I'll still play it safe for the next few days. We won't go to the soccer fields for the rest of the week, just in case of any bruising (physical or mental) that needs to heal.

Heather and Kelly  – (July 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM)  

Glad to hear that Cabana's okay!

Isn't Monty a HANDSOME boy! He's going to grow up to be stunning.
As hard as I try I can never resist a Golden :)

Once when I had Barrett I took care of a friend's dog--they played nonstop. But Barrett was obsessed with chewing on Hunter's cheeks and pretty soon made them bleed. Looking back, I should have separated them even though it would mean always keeping them in either separate rooms or on tie down, but back then I didn't know what to do. Hunter didn't really care, but it took quite awhile for his cheeks to heal.....

Maggie Mae and Max  – (July 21, 2010 at 7:56 AM)  

Yay for Cabana! :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

JacksDad  – (July 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM)  

Sometimes I think is it more scary for the person than the puppy, but it's never a bad thing to play it safe!

Lauren  – (July 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM)  

Don also loves it when his puppy friends grab his jowls. He thinks it's the best thing ever!

Montego is beautiful. What a pretty colored coat he has. Great pictures of the three of them playing!

I'm glad to hear that Cabana is okay!

Becky Andrews  – (July 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM)  

Glad you had a good experience at puppy meeting and that Cabana's okay.

Golden Samantha  – (July 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM)  

Hi Mimi! Such a long time - so sorry! Many things going on around here; new grandchild, puppy and more oh my! I just read about Cabana's scary experience - can never believe it when I hear about owners who don't pay attention - horrible! It sounds like Cabana survived okay, for she looked like she was having a great time with Monty and ____? C is such a sweet puppy - I just hate hearing about these awful things that happen to great puppers that should NEVER happen! But sounds like all is better! (Sammie's tolerant of bitey face, but not sure if she LOVES it!!!) Cabana needs to come over and relieve Sam!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and Miche
PS: We can go to the parks now!

Sierra Rose  – (July 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM)  

Sweet play with some awesome pups! Glad for this very positive event.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Dexter  – (July 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM)  

What a relief that Cabana pup was not injured by the mean old vizsla. Sometimes it is hard to tell who is your friend and some doggies will be all like "I love you" and then "I hate you" and you don't even know why.

I am super happy to see you playing and jumping and back to your old self. Momma's do tend to worry, but that is a good thing.

Slobbers,
Mango

Kari in Alaska  – (July 23, 2010 at 2:21 PM)  

That sure is some major jowl grabbing action!

Don't forget, we are changing our blog today. Please update your reader to follow dogisgodinreverse.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP