Summer Dog Bed

One of the biggest drawbacks to having a hobby that is also my job (sewing, crafting) is that I rarely get to make things just for fun anymore. If I'm making something, it's usually to sell. But this summer, I've allowed myself to "goof off" a bit and have enjoyed making some things for me.

Well, not for ME per se, but at least not for sale. Last month, I made quilts for my sister and my mother-in-law for their birthdays. I had so much fun making them that I've gotten a bit stuck in the quilting mode.

cabana laying on one of her dog beds, a tan and brown circular bed with bolster around back halfI bought this dog bed for $3 almost a year ago. I love the soft sherpa cover, but it was decidedly too wintery and in need of a summer makeover.

little stack of 5x5 fabrics, top fabric is cream background with brown, green, blue and red floral design, label says Fandango by Kate Spain for ModaUsing this "charm pack" (a little package of 42 pre-cut 5" squares of assorted coordinating fabrics) and an old pure linen tablecloth, I spent this afternoon happily busy doing TWO things I enjoy--being creative AND spoiling Cabana.

cabana on the newly covered dog bed, fandango squares alternate with cream linenVoila, a new summer dog bed cover! It's so light and cheerful to look at and probably much less hot for Cabana to lay on. Plus, like all good dog bed covers, it has a zipper so I can remove the stuffing for washing.

Best of all, since the linen tablecloth was re-purposed, and the fabric charm pack cost $5.40 (regularly $8.99, but I used a 40% off coupon at Beverly's), this dog bed, while almost twice the cost of the original $3 cover, was still quite a bargain.

closer up photo of cabana on new quilted dog bed coverDoes Cabana love it? I don't know, she probably couldn't care less. BUT I love it! So I guess I was really just spoiling myself, which is okay. It's summer, I'm allowed to goof off!

Katrin  – (July 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM)  

Holy cow you did that in ONE AFTERNOON??!!?! You have serious talent! I am completely amazed by your skill once again!

Dexter  – (July 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM)  

Cabana is lucky to have you. The new bed cover is beautiful and shows off her blondness. I am sure she appreciates it.

Slobbers,
mango

Heather and Kelly  – (July 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM)  

What a cool idea! (No pun intended...) It's a great looking cover. And how better to spend the summer than making crafty stuff for your dog? The fun will never end!

Maggie Mae and Max  – (July 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM)  

That is a beautiful bed cover. There is NO way my mom could ever do anything like that for me. :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Lisa and pups  – (July 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM)  

That is so beautiful. You are so incredibly talented. I'm amazed - Cabana is so lucky!

OSU 98  – (July 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM)  

It is super cute!!! I love it!

Beth and Alfie  – (July 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM)  

Oh, sooo cute! Quite possibly the cutest dog bed I've ever seen...I'm impressed with your talent & ability to pull that off so quick. Fun!! :-)

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM)  

Thanks, everyone, for your very nice comments! Having the pre-cut squares is a huge timesaver. It would have taken me HOURS to cut individual squares from 40 different fabrics.

Emily and Joel  – (July 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM)  

Oh my goodness,it's beautiful! You have true talent! Cabana is lucky to have you to keep her in style!

Becky Andrews  – (July 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM)  

Wow. Cabana once again, girl you have shown that you really do live the good life!

Emma Rose  – (July 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM)  

It's beautiful! And so comfy looking too :)

Lauren  – (July 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM)  

Wow you are great at sewing! That is such an awesome dog bed. It looks really pretty- and comfy!

Cassie & The Dogs  – (July 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM)  

Dear Cabana,
I hope you are willing to share that bed tomorrow! It looks WAY comfy! Though, I'm not sure how much sleeping I'll want to do while I'm visiting! Can't wait to see you!
Wags,
Dagan

Shelly :)  – (July 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM)  

I love that cover! :) You really have a gift for sewing.

JacksDad  – (July 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM)  

But look how beautiful she looks on it!!

Ms. ~K  – (July 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM)  

Aren't you clever?
You could sell those easily!
Hugs and belly rubs to Cabana,
~K

Kari in Alaska  – (July 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM)  

I do love it! Its adorable

Don't forget, we are now located at dogisgodinreverse.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP