Has It Come to This?

cabana has her head outstretched as she lovingly licks a wooden spoon that my daughter is holding up for her
When we first got Cabana, I was so squeamish about doggy cooties that I washed my hands after each time I touched her. I also changed my clothes several times each day because I didn't want any dog hairs on me. I made it a habit to put on my pajamas after putting Cabana in her crate at night so that no stray dog hairs would follow me into my bed and "dirty" my sheets. In order to get rid of any puppy odors (just regular fur smell, I'm not even referring to fecal matter or urine), I bought a big can of rug deodorizer and sprinkled my carpets liberally. Unfortunately, the smell of the rug deodorizer was WAY stronger and more unpleasant than any puppy smells, so that was the last time I made that mistake.

I'm not sure how long I kept up with this neat freak behavior, but presently, I find that I've slid a long way down on the mountain of fastidiousness, to be offering Cabana this wooden spoon so she can lick off the remnants of peanut butter cookie dough. (If my sister or anyone else who might come to eat at my house is reading this, I have recycled the wooden spoon and promise not to cook anything for your consumption with it.)

Even though my house and I might not be as cleanly as we used to be pre-dog, I'm fine with it. Obviously. Dog hair, dog germs, dog slobber--so what. Clean is a relative term, isn't it?

Lisa and pups  – (September 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM)  

Dog cooties aren't all that bad! :)

Becky Andrews  – (September 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM)  

Love it. I recall a bus driver telling me whem I got on the bus and was brushing my pants with my lint roller (almost 13 years ago) ... you just can't trust someone without a little dog hair. It was a funny comment and made me smile. If that is the marker, I'm very trustworthy now! Like you, have really lightened up on that one. Enjoy, Cabana.

Dexter  – (September 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM)  

Not to mention the shedding, because NOTHING sheds like a labradog. Ick! Of course having a mastiff brings dog cooties to a whole new level. Certainly not for the squeamish.

Slobbers,
Mango

JacksDad  – (September 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM)  

I hope you made enough for all your readers! :)

Erin  – (September 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM)  

heheheh I'm just amazed by the fact you actually had dog-hair-free clothes to change into!! :)) I can't seem to find any of those around here!

Erin  – (September 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM)  

Well..except for perhaps, my roommate's room.

Carrie and Waffle  – (September 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM)  

I think you all missed the larger issue here. I love how Cabana went from eating healthy veggie snacks to snacking on cookie dough :) Ha Ha - I think you'd better invest in some silicone spatulas - they are easier to sterilize.

Lucky girl!

Raiser Erin  – (October 1, 2010 at 6:25 AM)  

:D One of my old neighbours had an Australian Shepherd named Jack. One morning as Arwen and Jack were playing in his front yard (being central valley it was already well over 90) he asked if I would mind if Arwen had a drink. Of course I said no and he went inside and grabbed a mug a filled it full of water. When Jack and Arwen had had their fill of water he drank what was left...I can't say much on how disguisting this might be to other people because I used to allow my dogs to lick off my popsicle stick when I was little. :)

Infrequent Flyers  – (October 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM)  

Carrie, Cabana still loves carrots. But like the post title says, has it come to this?

Erin, I've heard that dog's mouths are cleaner than ours--but I don't think I'll ever be as phlegmatic (or in this case, "phlegm-matic") as your neighbor!

OSU 98  – (October 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM)  

I am so proud of you. You have come so far!Stick it in the dishwasher, it will be sanitized and you will never know the difference.

Beth and Alfie  – (October 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM)  

Hahaha, that's great! I like Becky's comment. ;-) Although, with the advent of (non-shedding) doodles in my life, I'll admit it's nice to put the lint roller away! I've heard that exposure to germs builds a healthy immune system...mine ought to be very healthy... :-D

grace  – (October 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM)  

Yep, please throw out that wooden spoon !! blech..

Kari in Alaska  – (October 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM)  

Haha welcome to the dog owners reality!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

D.K. Wall  – (October 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM)  

You will have fully made it when you DON'T think about recycling that spoon - grins.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP