Baby Ana Gets Babysat by Cabana

I sometimes babysit my friend's 8-month old baby girl, Ana. It's a great baby fix for me, and Ana is adorable and incredibly easygoing. Usually, I go over to Ana's house, but this week, Ana came to our house.


Cabana LOVES it when Ana is here. Because Cabana is super excited for the first 10-15 minutes, I hold Ana up high to keep a bit of distance between them. But after the initial frenzy, Cabana calms down and becomes very gentle. She loves to sniff Ana's hair and face and feet and, of course, diaper. Luckily, Ana has dogs at her own house, so she's very comfortable about being sniffed. Ana laughs and rambles in her intelligible-only-to-her language and uses her forefinger and thumb to poke and explore Cabana's fur and paws.

This time, I needed to put Ana down for a nap. Since I didn't have a port-a-crib for her, and because she isn't mobile yet, I laid her down in the middle of my bed, with pillows all around her. I stayed with her until I was sure she was asleep, during which time Cabana invited herself up on the bed, too. She seemed to want to help with whatever responsibilities Ana's presence required. I guess I should have made her get down since I hadn't invited her, but she just curled herself up, out of the way, on the corner of the bed. Maybe she was trying to set a good example for Ana--"Look, Ana, this is how we take a nap!"

After Ana fell asleep, Cabana and I crept out of the room. I closed the door partially, leaving it ajar so I could easily hear Ana when she woke up. I went down the hall to do some work in my sewing room, but unusually, Cabana didn't come along with me! She has a dog bed in my sewing room and likes to hang out there. But this time, she just laid in the hallway in front of my bedroom door--for the next hour and a half, until Ana woke up. She's obviously taking her new role as a babysitter quite seriously!

Raiser Erin  – (March 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM)  

That baby is adorable!

I love how dogs know that babies are babies. When I was little, my mom would put me down for a nap next to her on the couch so she could watch me and my older brother at the same time. My arm you flop over the side. Our Golden Molly thought this a perfect time to teach baby Erin how to pet a dog. She went back and forth next to the couch and had me "pet" her. :)

Jen  – (March 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM)  

Gotta love labs who are so great with kids!!! Well done Cabana with babysiting duty!!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

JacksDad  – (March 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM)  

Wow!! Ana is a very beautiful baby. I can't imagine Jack being around one that little. He would want to play with her like she was a puppy!!

Martha G  – (March 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM)  

Oh that is a cute baby! Cute dog, too. You need to start hiring out Cabana as a baby sitter.

Dexter  – (March 6, 2011 at 4:52 AM)  

Well of course. She knows what her job is.

Slobbers,
Mango

Lisa and pups  – (March 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM)  

Oh, what a good baby sitter Cabana is!!! And, so vigilant making sure her diaper is not too stinky :)

Amanda  – (March 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM)  

I grew up with a wonderful dog. Bonnie was just like Cabana when it came to babies. She laid by their blankets on the ground and kept them from going up stairs or out the front door She never let young children out of her sight. Kyle gets excited and knocks little kids over, so he is banned from babysitting with me. I'm hoping to teach #4 to be more like Bonnie and Cabana. You have an amazing dog!

Amber-Mae  – (March 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM)  

Ana is soooper adorable! Just look at her rosy cheeks & button nose! Cabana, I bet you do a fantabulous job at babysitting.

OSU 98  – (March 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM)  

Cabana is such a wonderful dog. :)

Kari in Alaska  – (March 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM)  

Sounds to me like she is a great babysitter!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP