What's with the Poodles?

Cabana is at a puppy sitter's house this weekend. To be a GDB puppy sitter, you must attend half the puppy meetings (or something like that). Our group had a puppy sitter for a while, but then she stopped coming, most likely because no one ever used her services. Not as a reflection of her abilities, but more because no one needed their puppy to be puppy sat. So earlier this summer during my week of alone time, I would have loved to take Cabana to the puppy sitter's, rather than the GDB kennels--but she hadn't been coming to the meetings and wasn't eligible to puppy sit. Last week, she started coming back to the meetings, and I felt that it would be nice to utilize her services. It would be encouraging to her, a respite for me and my family, and good practice for Cabana.

So today, being puppy-less, we decided to spend the day in San Francisco. First, we went to the Renegade Craft Fair, where my daughters and I drooled over all the fun items (and my husband patiently humored us). We stopped at Emily Martin's booth, The Black Apple. For anyone familiar with Etsy, Emily is one of Etsy's top sellers with over 23,000 sales! She's what every Etsian aspires to be. She's even been on Martha Stewart's show. And when I asked if I could take a photo of her and her booth, she gave me the sweetest pose! I felt so privileged to meet her.


Then, we went to SFMoMA (Museum of Modern Art). I personally enjoy abstract art and the way its message is left open to the beholder's interpretation. The exhibit that attracted me most was a pristinely white baby doll, lying on an 8-pointed gold star, and surrounded by hundreds of black poodles.

It was so interesting! I asked each of my family members to tell me what they thought the artist was trying to convey. And I'd like to ask you all the same thing. WHAT does it mean--the white baby, the black poodles, the star, the concentric circles?

In a few days, I'll post what my family members said. Of course, there's no right answer, and I'm not sure what the artist herself meant by it. Please don't do any online research--just post from your own gut feelings!! I'm curious to hear what you think!

Heather and Kelly  – (July 19, 2009 at 5:13 AM)  

Wow! That is really intriguing. I have no idea what it means. What were the poodles made out of?

Infrequent Flyers  – (July 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM)  

I didn't touch the poodles (I didn't think we were allowed to)--but I believe they were made of plaster.

Ally and Eclipse  – (July 19, 2009 at 2:57 PM)  

Babies can stand for so many things! The star with 8 points could signify all the different directions the child could take... poodles are viewed not only as prissy but as loyal and somewhat of a good "omen" from what I can tell... An army of poodles could signify the amount of "protection" the child has around it, no matter the path a new life chooses it'll be backed 110% but idk... I'm not sure I portrayed what I'm thinking correctly /grin/

Cassie & The Dogs  – (July 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM)  

I don't know what it means, but I'd be scared silly if I were ever surrounded by that many poodles!

Sounds like you are enjoying your break!

Becky Andrews  – (July 20, 2009 at 5:21 AM)  

My first thought was I don't like being in the center stage - wouldn't want to be that baby. Its not a picture that brings me comfort any way I think about it.

idontcaremuch  – (March 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM)  

poodle and baby art interpretation

info-8 point star
an all white baby laying on the star
black poodles surounding the baby

star- The 8 pointed star is a Gnostic symbol, known as the octagram of creation.
It is a symbol for the natural universe interweaving order and disorder, yin and yang, to create an ultimately harmonious and balanced design.

poodles circling- posiably to intimadate

black poodles- black meaning evil or death sexy or power

all white baby- white meaning pure

interpretation- it is portraying a innocent baby that is brought about to bring back the balance and harmony so the universe can be returned natural. the innocence of that one baby balances out all the evil power that balances back out

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP